Friday, July 22, 2011

Pet Peeves

That term seems to be an oxymoron to me…pet ~ meaning favorite…peeve ~ meaning dislike…? Well, ok…I don’t want to debate the meaning at this point…but rather, throw out some observations to some pet peeves I have….little annoyances that are like a splinter that nags at your finger…bug-a-boos that really seem to take on a life of their own because there is no control or way to fix/correct the problem!

Turn Signals ~ I’m guessing, due to budget cuts, this little action was eliminated from the driver training curriculum. Most drivers either don’t even know what that little gizmo does or don’t care. The non-use of it, however, is powerful in that it totally annoys the driver in the rear. Intentional or not, the lack of use is guaranteed to send the blood pressure up a notch or two.

Grocery Cart Operators ~ Am I the only one that gets a back ache just from watching those who push their grocery carts with their elbows? Grocery cart leaners... Not only does this slow the shopping traffic down, but the control of the cart is compromised.  While I’m at it, I need to mention the abandoned carts in the middle of the aisle while the cart owner disappears to another part of the store.

Cell Phones ~ Now, here’s a hot button category. A necessary evil, this little device has totally disrupted life as we once knew it. The routine has shifted: unlock vehicle, get in, sit down, seat belt on, keys in ignition, phone turned on, then, stuck between ear and shoulder, car started and on the road they go. At first, I thought people were dealing with some sort of malady…like their neck was cocked permanently. Once on the road, however, the hand stealthily slips up to take control of the phone, and then, the arm is positioned to suggest either the driver is bored or has a horrendous earache.

Residential Street Parking ~ I understand…I totally comprehend that the street is public…and parking in residential areas generally is open to all. What I don’t get is the random cars that appear after dark and are parked overnight up and down the street and in front of my home; strange vehicles that do not belong to my neighbors or their visitors.  Where do they come from? Who do they belong to? And why are they parked here? Oh, and here’s a good one…where is the overnight parking enforcement? There is an ordinance in place that restricts overnight parking without a permit.

Why does this bother me? It’s the disregard for the homeowners; the lack of respect for those of us who work hard to maintain our property, including the area in front of our homes. The fast food trash in the street, the casually discarded cigarette butts and the noise from the late comings and goings ~ all just annoying. The cocky attitude that gives an air that says the driver is above showing respect.

Several months ago, I was out in the front garden, tinkering away and dead-heading the roses. I looked up just as a car pulled up across the street next to the dirt strip that runs parallel to the sports field. The driver rolled down his window and threw a piece of trash out. Not satisfied where it landed, he got out of his vehicle, picked up the piece of trash, and threw it further into the brush. I could not believe my eyes! Really?!! As he took off, I noticed he had a child in the back. He sped up and as he passed, I shouted, “HEY!” The car stopped, and then backed up. He rolled down the passenger window and said, “Is there something wrong?”  To which I responded, “Do you want to go back and pick up your trash?!!!!” Not another word was spoken. He backed his car up, stopped, got out and picked up the trash, and the, drove off in another direction.

Pet peeves….everyone has them. Most of the time, I try to ignore the ongoing audacity. On occasion, however….well, you know…..

….and, this is where my mom would quietly sigh and urge, “Honey. Pick your battles.” Wise woman, my mom. Sure do miss her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping in to read my blog! I so appreciate your interest and welcome your comments! ~ peg